All Ya'll Ancestors

Pocket Tree

Pocket Tree
Keep your ancestry in your pocket!

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Fried Navajo Indian Bread from Mrs. Robert Pacheco (like Sopapillas)

I MUST TRY THIS! 
First, let me start by saying that we are talking about American Indian Fry Bread...not the flatbread variety!
We had Fried Indian Bread when we traveled to the Southwest last summer.
I had had some before that. 
I make some for my resident tomato hater hubby to take along on hunting trips.
But they are NOTHING like the Indian Fry Bread we had last summer! 
 Unfortunately I have no clue what paper this is from, which makes it hard to give any credit, where credit is due.  Maybe the Alberquerque, New Mexico paper?  June Vissotzky and her crew lived there for a short while.  It would make sense!  This clipping is a little hard to read,
so here is the typed recipe. I'll post some pictures later after I make this recipe! 
Mrs. Robert Pacheco, whoever you are, wherever you are, THANK YOU!!!!
 4 cups unsifted flour
1 teasoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 cup lukewarm water
Mix dry ingredients thoroughly. 
Add water and knead throughly. 
Cover and let stand 10 minutes.
Roll dough into balls about 2 inches in diameter and roll out flat with a rolling pin into a circle.
Cut two slashes in the center of the circle and ease it gently in to the hot grease in a frying pan.
Fry the dough until both sides are browned.
Serve with salt
(my note - also delicious with honey, or sugar and cinnamon!  Enter the danger zone at your own risk!!!)
Makes 10-12 servings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ancestors Gotta Eat!